Healthy Smoothies for Weight Loss and Over-all Health Goodness
Drinking fruit and veggie smoothies for weight loss is a fun way to get rid of unwanted body fats and improve your over-all health. They can be used as meal-replacements or add them to your healthy meal plan. By using fruits and vegetables in making them, you can have various health benefits.
Health Benefits of All Natural Smoothies
1. Easy weight loss. If you’re having a hard time losing weight because you are always tempted to eat other foods that taste a lot better than your diet, then worry no more! Drinking smoothies made of natural ingredients will help you melt all those extra pounds away from your body. Smoothies keep you from getting hungry all the while providing your body the nutrients that it needs. You don’t have to worry about gaining weight while taking in something that’s so delicious you can’t get enough of it. Losing weight has never been so easier with smoothies.
2. Detox: The fruits and vegetables that you use to make smoothies contain health nutrients that cleans the junk out of your body. Detoxifying will give your body a break from all the artificial chemicals that you get everyday and repair itself.
3. Smoothies keep you hydrated. Smoothies can provide the water that your body needs to stay hydrated. A glass of smoothie for breakfast can help you keep hydrated throughout the day.
4. Improves digestion. The fiber found in the fruits and veggies that you turn into smoothies will aid in better digestive activities. Better digestive activities mean quicker elimination of waste from the gut and no constipation to worry about. Also, fiber is what gives you the impression that you’re “full” which causes you to eat less.
5. Strengthen your immune system: Your immune system fights off illnessess and free radicals that can harm your body. Drinking yummy smoothies can help empower your immune system and make your strong. Regular intake of these drinks can lessen the number of times you get sick.
Nutritional Value of Smoothies
As blended food gets digested easily by your stomach, it becomes easier for your body to absorb the nutrients it needs. Some nutrients that you can get from smoothies are:
• Vitamins and Minerals
Fruit smoothies contain vitamin C with antioxidants that help boost your immune system. These antioxidants that you find in the fruit smoothies block free radicals that can be harmful to your health. Fruits that have Vitamin C are citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, grapefruits. Melons also have adequate amounts of vitamin C. These fruits also possess minerals such as potassium which supports cardiovascular health and maintains your blood pressure in a normal level.
Other fruit categories such as berries are also rich with antioxidants that help decrease inflammation and phytonutrients that fights various diseases. Tropical fruits such as papaya, bananas, mangoes, avocado, and pineapple are also good sources of vitamin C and potassium. They also contain folate and manganese. These nutrients from tropical fruits can help keep your bones strong, maintain your blood sugar in a normal level, and your thyroid glands and nerves healthy.
When you use fruits and vegetables in your smoothies, you get a healthy dose of fiber that your body needs. Fiber helps digestion go easier in you tummy and can prevent constipation.
Why Thicken Smoothies?
When you make smoothies, it would be better if you include ingredients that would thicken its texture. Studies have shown that thicker smoothies will leave you feeling fuller than those thinner ones. These ingredients will thicken your smoothies:
• Avocado – this fruit supplies the healthy fat that your body needs and will keep you satisfied until your next meal. It is a smoothie thickener and provides creaminess to your drink. You can also use other dense fruits like papaya, mangoes, bananas and vegetables like spinach.
• Chia seeds – chia seeds are rich in fiber, protein, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids. These seeds turn gel-like when they are soaked in liquid so when you include this in your smoothie, it will surely have a thick texture.
• Oats – this will make your smoothie filling. You will feel satiated until the next meal time arrives.
Other smoothie thickeners are:
- Coconut meat
- Nuts such as almonds and walnuts (only if you can afford to have a few more calories)
- Frozen fruits (frozen fruits provide more flavors because you won’t have to add ice anymore)
- Cottage cheese
- Frozen yogurt
Weight Loss Smoothie Recipes
Here are some recipes that you can follow to make smoothies!
1. Berry Banana Smoothie
- – 1 cup fresh blueberries
- – ½ frozen banana
- – 1 cup spinach
- – 1 cup water
- – 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
You can also add 1 tablespoon of gelatin in your berry banana smoothie for protein.
2. Banana and Strawberry Smoothie
- – 1 banana
- – 5 strawberries, hulled
- – 1 cup cold milk
- – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- - ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- - ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- - ½ cup water
- - 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- - ¼ tablespoon cinnamon
- - ½ tablespoon honey or ½ banana to sweeten
Smoothies is healthy, but you still have to exercise portion control – can’t over drink it. You should also consult your doctor on how to best add or incorporate smoothies in your daily diet. Have a happy blending!